1374 Calhoun St.
Historic Macon completed the construction of a new home on a vacant lot in the 1300 block of Calhoun Street as part of our neighborhood revitalization work in Beall's Hill. Funds from Knight Foundation's $3 million investment were used to complete this home.
551 Cherry St.
Historic Macon’s loft project at 551 Cherry Street is the first project to be completed using the preservation organization’s Downtown Loft Revolving Loan Fund. This revolving fund allows HMF to rehabilitate downtown buildings in both residential and commercial condos, increasing the number of owner-residents downtown. The project also utilized state tax credits.
Fortunately, the entire middle Georgia community is served by the use of the downtown loft revolving fund. When Historic Macon Foundation began the rehabilitation efforts at 551 Cherry Street
that created job growth in the construction industry. The additional workers in the downtown area invigorated the restaurant and retail business. The new flurry of construction work and restaurant activity inspired more activity in all areas of the downtown community. The Georgia Tech Research Institute compiled data for a 2014 National Trust for Historic Preservation publication by Donovan Rypkema and Place Economics. According to the research every $1 million in historic preservation creates 16.3 jobs during construction with a payroll of $811,000; provides 7.5 permanent jobs; and ultimately adds $558,000 to Georgia state tax revenues. Using those figures with our project at 551 Cherry Street, this building project has helped create 8+ jobs during construction; almost 4 permanent jobs; and adds $279,000 to state revenues. Even more exciting, is that once these units are sold we’ll recoup our revolving funds and tackle another project.
1374 Calhoun St.
Historic Macon completed a rehabilitation project of a single family home on Calhoun St. in Beall's Hill to further the neighborhood's revitalization. A family of two Mercer professors and their 2 daughters moved into the home in 2014.
1268 College St.
Constructed between 1920 and 1924, the Craftsman-style four-unit apartment building at 1268 College St. (left) has overlooked one of America’s oldest public parks for nearly 100 years. In fact, the most notable design feature of the building is its generous porches facing the
park on each of the apartments. Originally known as Jordan Apartments, the building retains much of its original design and ornamentation. No significant changes to the interior of any unit have been made. The brick veneered exterior encloses apartments each with original hardwood floors, Craftsman-style mantels, operable glass transoms, divided light French doors, subway tile firebox surrounds and even some original lighting fixtures.
Unfortunately, these finishes were preserved because the building did not receive proper maintenance for many years. Water intrusion decayed some of the wood sills, and entire sections of the brick veneer started to collapse.
1268 College St. is an important original building to the College Street streetscape and is located on the block slated for immediate improvements to the streetscape. Coupled with investments by Friends of Tattnall Square Park through the Knight Neighborhood Challenge at the Community Foundation of Central Georgia, these generous shady porches have some of the most beautiful views in Macon.
The application for the third phase of The Lofts at Mercer Village, located next door, originally proposed demolition of Jordan Apartments. Less than an hour before the project was considered by Macon’s Design Review Board, Historic Macon Foundation and Mercer University signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to preserve the building in its current location. The MOU represented a major win for historic preservation efforts in Macon. Historic Macon Foundation raised between $25,000 and $100,000 in 60 days to fund the rehabilitation of the building.
The rehabilitation of the Historic Tattnall Apartments was completed on Friday, June 27, 2014. An open house on June 27 showcased the complete renovation of the 4-units apartment. The fully furnished apartments will be rented by Mercer University students and Sierra Development will manage the rental property. Thanks to the generous donations from the Griffith Family Revolving Fund, Mr. Carlton and Mrs. Rosemary Dumas, Mr. Virgil E. Cooper, Dr. Maurice Solis and Ms. Lee Johnson, and Historic Macon members. Heritage Bank of the South provided construction financing.
Historic Macon Foundation partnered with Tony Butler Construction to rehabilitate the 3 historic houses that Mercer University and Sierra Development moved to Oglethorpe Avenue in 2013 to save them from demolition. This large project
was funded by the Historic Hills and Heights Development Corporation and will continue our mission of revitalization within the Beall’s Hill Neighborhood. All 3 homes received exterior repairs and new paint with full landscaping. 1029 Oglethorpe, which is the home closest to downtown, underwent a full rehabilitation. Thanks to Tony Butler, Mercer University and Sierra Development for saving these homes!