Sidney Lanier Cottage
The Sidney Lanier Cottage House Museum, located at 935 High Street in Macon, GA, is the birthplace of noted poet, musician & soldier, Sidney Lanier (1842-1881). Perhaps best known for his poems “The Marshes of Glynn” and “Song of the Chattahoochee,” Lanier was also a renowned musician, as he was first chair flute in the Peabody Symphony Orchestra in Baltimore for seven seasons. Furthermore, Lanier received a federal commission to compose a Cantata for the Centennial celebration of the United States in 1876 in Philadelphia. Please join us for a guided tour of the museum, where you will learn more about Sidney Lanier and view items from his life.
Thursday through Saturday • 10 am to 4 pm • Last tour at 3:30 pm
Closed Sunday–Wednesday and major holidays. Pre-arranged school/group tours are possible Monday–Wednesday. Hours may vary during Christmas and Cherry Blossom Festival.
- $5 adults, Walk-in Admission;
- $4 for seniors, military with ID, AAA members, and organized groups of 10 or more with a reservation;
- $3 for youth, ages 6-18.
- $2 per student for organized K-12 school visits with a reservation.
- Free for school group visits through the Elam Alexander Trust (download the application here)
- Free for Members of Historic Macon Foundation
Macon’s best local gifts, historic maps, prints, architectural guides, local books, art and more are available at the Sideporch Store in the Sidney Lanier Cottage and online.
For groups of ten (10) or more, advanced reservations are required. Please call (478) 742-5084.
Handicap accessibility is provided from the back garden with accessible restrooms inside. Please no photography, video, food or drink.
cottage Event Rentals
Since the 1940s, the Sidney Lanier Cottage has hosted Macon’s best events. The tradition began with Mrs. McAfee’s tea room, which hosted Bridal teas, rehearsal dinners and the casual out-of-towner looking for a taste of Southern hospitality. That same hospitality continues today. Macon’s brides know that you can not have a Macon wedding without using the Cottage for a rehearsal dinner, bridal shower or reception. Find out more and make your reservation by downloading the Rental Contract.
Some of the amenities at the Sidney Lanier Cottage include a landscaped formal garden and patio behind the house, a large Magnolia-shaded front yard, front porch with eight rocking chairs, full catering kitchen with restaurant grade two-oven, ten-burner stove, free wi-fi hot spot, tables, chairs, linens, glasses and stemware, furnishings, seasonal decorations and handicapped accessibility and restroom.
The Cottage also works well for:
- Wedding Rehearsal Dinners
- Bridal Teas
- Corporate Christmas parties
- Cocktail receptions
- Business meetings
- Children’s tea parties
- Catered dinners
Rental rates are among the most reasonable in town and help support the preservation of this important ca.1840 Cottage
Rental rates are as follows*:
- 1-49 Persons • $450 on weekdays • $600 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays
- 50-99 Persons • $600 on weekdays • $750 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays
- 100-149 Persons • $800 on weekdays • $900 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays
- 150-175 Persons • $900 on weekdays • $1,100 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays
* Rental includes in-house Site Coordinator and use of Cottage linens, dishes, silverware, glassware, etc.
There is a maximum of 175 guests indoors and up to 250 guests with rental of the Garden
Rental of Garden or use of the front lawn is an additional $150.
To reserve the Cottage, call our Cottage Coordinator, Bernard Turner, today at (478) 318-7057 or email email@example.com.
For more information, please download the rental contract.